Thursday 23 August 2007

Those Medicos...

Watched Sicko last night. Yeah, I can see why the health people are working hard to discount this. And, yes, I felt the movie... rotating, revolving, moving in a circle-like direction. (Seeing Manufacturing Dissent didn't hurt either.)

At the end Michael Moore says that the USA is the only country in the western world without free health care. Now, I might be a little immodest here, but I'm pretty sure that New Zealand is a civilised country in the western world, but we sure don't have free health care. Allow me to tell my story.

Near the end of 2005 I was told I needed my wisdom teeth removed. I knew that eventually they would be a problem, but getting them removed...? But, well, I had to. So early 2006 (when I had the time), I started on the path for the operations - by calling my health provider (Southern Cross, of course)...

Which covered me! I had to pay the first $500, but they got the rest. Which was several thousand dollars. At the rate I paid the premium that would be about five years worth!

It's not free... but certainly not a horror story.

[END]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

New Zealand is not a part of the West, is it?

Jamas Enright said...

It's odd in that although the common terms are "Western Hemisphere" and "Eastern Hemisphere", the people who say that usually mean "the Western part of the Northern Hemisphere" (etc). The Southern Hemisphere just doesn't exist!