Monday 17 December 2007

The "good" lie

Christmas Time... Mistletoe and Wine... and presents. Lots and lots of presents.

But only if you are good.

Yes, it's that time of the year again, when we celebrate the winter solstice... er, I mean the ever burning oil... no wait, the birth of a lamb! Which has what to do with giving people presents? (Actually, I do remember being taught a story of about how wise men stopped at houses and said "we're going to see the new baby, wanna give us something?" One woman said no, later regretted it, then went around giving everyone presents in the hope of getting in on the action. Yeah, that's what really happened.)

Anyways... in midst of all this reality (it's all those things and more!), we also have Saint Nicholas, who rewards good behaviour. This is clearly something kids respond to well, including issuing threats to the big guy.

Sooner or later the kids find out what's really going on, and some go on to question everything they are told. We comfort ourselves that this is all a good thing, but face facts. We are lying to children about a non-existent being at the North Pole(*), so they will do what we say, and incidentally helps them accpt other lies we tell them.

Good on us...

(*)Don't tell me "you had a cruddy Christmas as a kid and are taking it out on the rest of us." You don't know me, and that wasn't true. But I did come to the realisation that I'd rather get gifts from my parents that someone who didn't care about me (aside from my 'goodness').

[END]

No comments: