Sunday 30 December 2007

Spam Analysis

Am getting the latest barrage of spam emails. While I'm sure there are a number of well wishers towards me, somehow the title of "Happy New Year to [my email]" raises my suspicions flags. Getting them from random eddresses, and the body is:

Happy 2008 To You!
http://family postcards 2008 . com/

(spaces inserted to saw "screw you".)

Looking at the page (via Lynx, a text-based browser that doesn't automatically screw your computer), the page wants to download a piece of software "fck2008.exe" (or "fck2009.exe").

Definitely trying to fck my computer, but it looks like this is the latest Storm Worm virus.

At least this is a slight cut above "g3t BIGGER p 3 n 1 s nOw!"

[END]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this blog. I got one email coming into my AOL email SPAM folder. I was curious to see if it was someone I knew in the past sending the greetings to me.
I am glad that I didnt open it.

:)
JM

Jamas Enright said...

Thanks JM! When spam comes, it's often in waves, and I got many of these, so that was a big clue.

Anonymous said...

Wait.

Do you mean those "g3t BIGGER p 3 n 1 s nOw!" emails aren't true?

Next you'll be trying to tell me that $oft C1@li!$$ and Ger!n!c VAlggEr@ don't work.

Sigh...I had such ~BIG~ hopes!

Jamas Enright said...

Have to admit I haven't tried it yet. I'm just waiting for my money from the Nigerian prince to come through...

Anonymous said...

see also:
http://spamtrackers.eu/wiki/index.php?title=Storm#December_29

Jamas Enright said...

Thanks! Useful link!