Monday 11 February 2008

I am Savage!

Due to a local RPGer wanting to find out more about the Savage Worlds RPG system, she organised a get-together of a couple of players and a GM to find out by actually playing it (as opposed to reading the book and interpreting).

I was a member of the team, as we played the Solomon Kane version. In particular, I was Oliver Pride, strong willed quasi-leader (he was probably supposed to be the leader, but I was quasi about playing that). Our task was to find out what happened to the son of an acquaintance of mine, who disappeared in a town where there is a local legend about an imp that comes to rampage the town every new moon...

I've heard others play it, but this was my first first-hand experience... and it was a fun game! We did the investigation phase, then the kick-ass phase. In our first combat, we only got through three moves when I ended it by pointing a gun at the leader of the opposing side (he wasn't really the "Bad Guy(tm)"), so we didn't quite get to try out the combat system then, but, hey, I was actually role-playing!

We did do a big kick-ass fight against the aforementioned imp, and thanks to one player coming up with a useful point, we... well, we did kick-ass. I'm not entirely convinced about the damage system (seems very easily to never have to worry about damage), but we won, and that's all that counts... that, as we all enjoyed the game. That counts too.

Certainly a useful system, and there could be a potential on-going game in the offering at the player who set the game up wants to GM herself. We shall see...

[END]

No comments: