Friday 22 August 2008

Bank Jobby

Based on a true story, apparently. That sort of thing should always be treated with caution, but what happens is pretty messy which is the sort of thing that happens in real life. Jason Stratham seems to be in a few movies at the moment, and the one I saw was The Bank Job.

I like a good heist movie, but this movie is all over the place and has trouble telling the story straight. We flip around quite a few characters and I got lost as to who was having what motivation to do whatever it was they did. Since this is based on real life, it's hard to say that there was a particular moral that came through, and the most this movie can aim for is simply someone getting out with some sense of justice occurring (barely, but it does happen).

Jason Stratham is a good actor, at least for this genre of action movie (don't quite see him doing Shakespeare). Saffron Burrows is a name I know I should know, but can't quite place. And Stephen Campbell Moore took me a bit to recognise (Evan White from Ashes to Ashes). But I am annoyed I didn't recognise David Suchet, now there's a terrific actor!

It's a... decent enough movie, but... there's just something missing...

[END]

1 comment:

Peter A said...

Saffron Burrows - you may remember her from such movies as Enigma, Perfect Creature, Deep Blue Sea and Circle of Friends among many others.