Saturday 21 February 2009

Fighting technology

Way hey, I got me a new laptop (with suped-up-ness)! (No, haven't heard about my old laptop yet.)

I prepared by downloading lots of install files, because I knew there was one thing I had to do immediately: Uninstall Nortons. (Don't want it, they want to charge me, and it's largely a virus on the system of itself. I had AVG and Zone Alarm ready to roll...) That proved to take a while as it seemed very reluctant to give it up.

However, I am now using Vista, and it's a damn fight to get everything loaded. Aside from the updates the software on there already wants, I need to Administratively approve everything. And then I need to put all the add-ons and switches I want, and try to recall all the places I go to and relink in everything, and redo the patches... not to mention lost all my email addresses and emails...

Still, it should be a lot more powerful, and give me such a better experience... and yet I'm thinking I want Windows 7 to arrive sooner rather than later...

(Lastly, I thought it was a 320G drive... Why is it telling me I have 260G of 288G free? (And yes, I see the "recovery drive" but that's only 10G.) Where did the rest of it go?)

[END]

3 comments:

Foo said...

Ahhh, that is the magic of hard drives and the difference between binary and SI prefixes.

Check out the wikipedia page 'Hard disk' and read the bit on capacity measurements linkie here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk#Capacity_measurements

"Thus a disk specified by a disk manufacturer as a 30 GB disk might have its capacity reported by Windows 2000 both as "30,065,098,568 bytes" and "28.0 GB". The disk manufacturer used the SI definition of "giga", 109 to arrive at 30 GB; however, because Microsoft Windows, Mac OS and some Linux distributions use "gigabyte" for 1,073,741,824 bytes (2*30 bytes), the operating system reports capacity of the disk drive as (only) 28.0 GB."

Phew, that's a mouthful. If you read the whole section you'll get the idea!

The size discrepancy increases the bigger the hard drive size.

Yes, I think Windows 7 will beat Vista out of the ball park - Vista really isn't that great. Service Pack 2 is being released in a few months and this will hopefully make it that little bit more usable.

BTW, you can turn off the User Access Control if you want. Of course this is one of the main 'features' of Vista as it prevents those who aren't that IT savvy from accidentally installing malware/virii etc

Hey, what laptop DID you get - the links not showing anything.

Foo said...

Scratch that, I spot what you got and an additional 2GB of RAM. Nice. And dedicated graphics...even nicer! :-)

Jamas Enright said...

Like that is it? Let's see. Say 300*1024*1024*1024 = 322etc. That'll do it.