Monday 9 March 2009

Watching the Watchmen Watchers

This seems to be one of them phenomenums (phenomeni?). As soon as it came out, it appears everyone saw Watchmen within five minutes of its release. It's discussed on Stuff, Twenty-Sided Tale, Skepchick, Pharyngula...

As for me... not yet. I prefer to not go to a packed theatre if I can help it. I have seen a few movies in such conditions, Independence Day comes to mind, and I think that was after it had been out for soem days. Alternatively, I saw Star Wars: Phantom Menace within twelve hours of its release, and yet the theatre wasn't even half full. Mirrors was another non-full first release day movie I went to. Shrek 2 was full even after a week.

But, generally speaking, I tend to leave it a week, to let the first rush of "OMG, must C!" get out of the way, then go in for a relaxed time. Typically on a Tuesday, as that is cheap movie day. (On those rare occasions I splurge for the luxury seats, usually I go NOT on a Tuesday so I don't feel like I'm paying too much extra, although even then the theatre is often barely occupied so I could have had nice quiet atmosphere for the cheaper price anyway.)

There were... three, of the top of my head, times when I saw a movie with no-one else in the theatre: Scream 2 (or was it 3?), Snakes on a Plane and Deathproof. Yeah, I enjoyed that. (Who says people go to movies for the community experience?)

As for Watchmen... maybe this week in the expensive seats on Thursday... but maybe later as well (cheap seats all March!). No doubt, either way, like those above, I'll be blogging about it as soon as I do...

[END]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went on Friday and there were maybe a dozen people in the cinema with me.

Of course, that was Lower Hutt, so your mileage may vary. :)

Foo said...

I'll be seeing it in a few weeks at an iMax theatre in London. Can't wait, although reviews have been...ah...well, you know.