Sunday 7 June 2009

Torchwood: Rift War

In the Torchwood magazine there is a comic running. And the first collection of comics from the magazine were all one arc, and released under that name: Rift War.

The story is about a group of beings in another dimension (or some such place, I'm not sure) attacking Torchwood, as Torchwood will be destroying them. They come across one person, Vox, who sides with them as the other beings are against him as well. But all is not what it seems.

Well, of course it isn't. Why make things simple? On the other hand, why make things original? The twists of the characters is in no way new, and can be seen long before its made clear to the audience, and then we have to wait for the good guys to find out. In the mean time, there's a lot of confusing events, and a giant baby, and a really messed up ending and I have no idea what happened there.

The artwork is... I can't be nice here, as there were many, many times I wasn't sure if I was looking at Owen or Ianto, possibly Jack... or possibly Gwen. Certainly I could never tell Gwen from Tosh unless Tosh was wearing glasses or the speech explicitly said. Fine, I can't draw, and I know people who will say I shouldn't comment, but the art just isn't that good, from a character point of view.

(In contrast there is another story at the end of the collection, a one-off piece, that is also highly confusing on plot, but the character art is nearly photorealistic, to the point where I wonder if it was traced.)

Only to get if you are collecting everything you can.

[END]

No comments: