Friday 4 March 2011

Water Way to Sleep

So here's a topic that doesn't get brought up that often (that I'm aware of): do you sleep with a glass of water nearby? I do. Most nights, just the occasional sip is all I need. Sometimes a fair bit. Once or twice, I've needed a refill.

However, on the rare occasion I don't have a glass of water nearby, I wake up parched and desperately in need of a drink. Fine, it might be selective memory, but it's definitely a rare night I don't have water nearby, and I can certainly recall that I woke up thirsty those times... (although I won't go so far as to saying the glass of water hydrates the air, which is why I don't wake up parched other nights, 'cos that's silly... and not true).

I can't say I'm aware of any surveys out there asking people this question, yet it says a lot of our habits and our biology that night hydration is necessary. Or is it? I know of a few people who have mentioned it, but is it just us odd dry people? Do you sleep near cool refreshing H20?


[END]

2 comments:

evildicemonkey said...

Not unless you count the rain outside my window.

I remember reading Scott Adams talking about how he was amazed on the one night he forgot to turn off his bedside lamp when sleeping that there was a spider in his glass of water when he went to drink it, he goes on to talk about how it was not a lucky occurrence but that he had probably drank loads of spiders but didn't know until that night.

That story probably doesn't help me in wanting to become a "water by the bed" guy.

Jamas Enright said...

Yeah, I had that story in mind as well. Had a few water/bug encounters myself.
Could just use a sipper bottle instead...