Friday 4 January 2013

My First Anime

When I was much younger, I grew up on 80s cartoons. Not surprising, considering it was the eighties. So, cartoons based on toys. American shows. Badly translated Japanese shows. Basically, not exciting fare. The most exciting cartoon I might come across was possibly Duckman (I can't entirely remember if I saw Duckman before or after below).

Then Liquid TV came along, and with it a whole new styles of animation. Including one segment in particular...



This was the first time I had seen anything like this. I didn't even know it could be like this. And it pretty much blew my mind. (Before you get all 'ha, I knew about blah' there was a point when you didn't know about blah.)

And then I hit my first anime movie... but that will be tomorrow. But anyway, this opened my eyes to what anime could be. Great stuff, and hooked on it ever since.

[END]

3 comments:

fantomas said...

Mine was either "Battle of the Planets" or "Star Blazers". It could be argued that these are not anime due to being American adaptations of anime.

evildicemonkey said...

Battle of the Planets (or G-Force as it was known) here too.

If it doesn't count then my first 'real' anime wouldn't have been until Akira, and that would have been 8 or so years after it was released

Jamas Enright said...

Yeah, it does get a bit tricky as to what counts and what doesn't. Running Man, for me, was a completely different style, and was widely said (when I talked about it at the time) it was anime.

But certainly wasn't the only Japanese show on TV. (Samurai Pizza Cats... oh yeah!)