Tuesday 9 September 2014

The Mill and the Cross

At the film society this time, we saw The Mill and the Cross, inspired by the painting The Procession to Calvary.

We accompany Bruegel and his patron of the moment Jonghelinck as they observe the setting up of the painting of the title. We dive into the details, and see the mill and the miller. We also see other figures who have bits and pieces to do, and we cross from 16th century setting to the characters recreating the death of Christ.

Yeah... I get what was going on in each scene, I just didn't get entirely why. Why show this part? Why spend so much time with the random children? And the weird dancing guy? And most of the other scenes? I know I have trouble reading subtles, but this time I had trouble reading the surface level.

Among the various acting I don't know, the two leads are Rutger Hauer and Michael York, and I wish they were in it more. Something about Rutger's voice explaining the painting was just so soothing. And Charlotte Rampling is also here, and familiar, but I forgot her from Dexter.

At an hour and a half, this felt long and a lot of it unnecessary. I'm sure there are people who love this. I'm sure it's not me.

[END]

No comments: