Wednesday 6 January 2016

The Enfield Haunting

The Enfield poltergeist was an actual thing that happened. At least, it was a thing that seemed to happen and get reported on. And then there was a TV adaptation of it.

In this version, Maurice Grosse is brought in to investigate a haunting, and some aspects of the case remind him of a previous incident in his own life. However, while it seems to possible not be real, there are some aspects of it that can't be explained. Then Guy Playfair turns up, and takes over, seeing this as another case to become famous over. However, then they find out there really is something supernatural going on, but their higher ups want them to stop harassing the family. So then they have to get more personally involved, and again Maurice's own past gets mixed up in this.

Actually, this is quite well done. Timothy Spall and Matthew Macfadyen are the leads, and not even the child actors are that annoying. (It's been a while since I've seen it.) What works better than what I talked about last week is that this ties in the personal character arc with the actual story.

With that, I would recommend this. Although I might revise my opinion if I do rewatch it myself.

[END]

1 comment:

Jet Simian said...

This was just on Vibe and we caught it by accident, but in time to watch the full thing in terrestrial instalments. Certainly very high quality (Juliet Stevenson was also reliably good in her role, as was Rosie 'I gone done one or two Big Finishes' Cavaliero in hers. Yup, we liked it, and having only a passing awareness of the story (I knew Ghostwatch was loosely based on it) wasn't a disadvantage.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that late 1970s Great Britain was a very spooky place to be in many respects.