Saturday 12 March 2022

Second Darksiders

Okay, sure, I went to the second game... and had a lot more fun! I don't know if I just got used to it or what, but the Easy mode (yes, of course I was on Easy) was possibly a bit too easy?
For example, in the Soul Arbiter's Maze... I did the last five levels (not rooms, levels) with no health potions. I may have been a little over leveled, but...

The whole experience felt better paced. Yes, there is still "you need to go do these things three times" bullshit again and again, but the major milestones were better placed so that I was often "I felt I've done a good bit, the game could end here, that would be fine".

One complaint is the boss fights: too many didn't have a gimmick, just "get in there and cut them up". Some of the gimmick fights, when they were there, were memorable, but there's like... three of them? Even major boss fights were just a DPS race of their health bar vs mine.
(Speaking of, I did the additional campaigns, and the very last boss fight I did sucked majorly, a mixture of homing boss shots and dodge mechanics sucking. The only reason I won was because I went and got more health potions.)

One annoyance: too many items. You have about five different armour pieces, two weapons, and other add ons. Upgrades were mainly "get a new item drop", so you are constantly checking your inventory to see if you have a better weapon. And then other upgrades cost money (which you sell the inventory for), or, for some weapons, by sacrificing items directly. And then there were skill points. Just too many things to track.

Now, I do have number three in the series (but not the fourth it seems). However, I understand the gameplay style is quite different so... not sure how quickly I feel about getting on that.

[END]

No comments: