Thursday 17 March 2022

What's in a Wordle?

I'm sure you've heard of Wordle by now. Big sensation. Got brought by the New York Times (so we are all expecting pay gating any day now). And of course there are lots of wordle-a-likes... and here are some of the ones I pay attention to.

Wordle - of course, the classic. I have a two word start that I usually use, so very rate do I get a two-er. Got a few broken streaks, but what you gonna do? I've stopped worrying about it.

Worldle - where in the world is... well, not Carmen Sandiego, but you? They give you a country outline, and you got to name the country. Every guess gets you a rating of how close you are and in which direction the country is. I admit, my geography is so bad, I use a world map. But hey, I view this as increasing my geography.

Heardle - can you hear me now? How's your music knowledge? Can you pick a song just from the opening sounds? I vary between "get it instantly" and "never heard of it".

But want more? Some more I'm aware of that I've attempted at times:

Semantle - guess the word going by how close your guess is semantically to it. I'm really bad at this.

Dungleon - guess the party composition. There are extra rules you need to work out, so if you keep at it.

Nerdle - guess the maths equation... I don't even know where to begin with that.

Scholardle - guess the academic word.

Heardle - (a different one) guess the word from its phonemic sound.

And then if one Wordle isn't enough for you:

Quordle - 4 of 'em!

Octordle - 8 of 'em!

Hexadecordle - 16 of 'em!

Sedecordle - 16 of 'em! (also)

Duotrigordle - 32 of 'em!

And finally:

Survivle - don't guess the word! (but obey the Hard Mode rules)

Letterle - guess the letter. Go on, guess it!

[END]

No comments: