Friday 12 August 2022

Bluebridge / Interislander

I popped down to Picton this week because... it was there! So why not? Although pro-tip: if you go to Picton, get there before 9pm because everything will be shut then. To get there, I took the BlueBridge Ferry down and the InterIslander Ferry back. So let's compare!

First off, BlueBridge. I got a cabin, which was quite useful. Now, through no control of their own, the weather was terrible, and we got away late. Like, by the time we left we should have arrived in Picton. This also meant that the trip over the Strait was... not great. And so a cabin was really great, in that I could lie down in the dark and, most importantly, had a toilet in my cabin, which had a very useful feature: proximity. I also didn't try any of the food, but it looked fine? And certainly other people were getting it.

The InterIslander. They don't have a cabin on their regular cruises, but they do have the Plus Lounge, which is adult only. I went for that. You do get a larger chair to sit in, and they bring around food for you, quite often. Fortunately, the weather was nicer, so I was happy to eat, and the travel was a lot easier.

Comparing the two, if I had gotten something to eat on BlueBridge, then the price would be about the same. If you want privacy, a cabin is good. If you are more likely to eat, go for the InterIslander.

That said... my actual recommendation is take a plane. SoundsAir flies there, and takes around 30 minutes compared to the over three hour ferry journey. Yes, the price is also about the same, but the time saving more than makes up for it (although you do need a shuttle at the Picton end to get to the actual town).

[END]

No comments: