Monday 10 October 2022

Raising New Hell

I've watched a lot of Hellraiser, and I like the movies. Well, the first four at least. Later on they just because other movies that the label of Hellraiser got slapped on. This is a... not quite a reboot, this could easily fit into the canon of the movies, largely because there isn't really a canon aside from "there are Cenobites and there is a cube". Still, it does have a few new rules that reboot fits well enough.

Druggie young woman gets a hold of the cube thanks to her boyfriend, and starts solving it (I feel like it's more that the cube guides people in how to solve it more than the people themselves solve it). However, it starts taking victims but she's too caught up in it now. Eventually, she's led to a rich white dude that is behind it all (because aren't they all?), and even winning is losing.

The main attraction here is the Cenobites, but we don't get great looks at their costumes until near the end. I can't swear to it, but they look like practical outfits to me, and in that they look great! The cube has also undergone a few changes, and there are more "configurations" now, and it sure would be fun to get my hands on some of those practical props too (I can only assume pretty much every variation had to be a different practical prop in order to get all that movement out of every step). I do have a prop of the original cube... and yes, it is largely just a block of wood with some gold designs on each side.

Acting-wise, everyone is fine. No-one really stands out, but then no-one sucks either, so it all washes out.

I won't be surprised to see more, and if they stand up to this, we are in good stead for the next phase of the franchise.

[END]

No comments: