Tuesday 25 October 2022

Stress Cruise

I had credits to use that were going to expire, so I got myself a wee cruise that went from Auckland (Sunday) to Sydney (Thursday). It did not go well.

Sunday: Flew up to Auckland, had a seat near the front of the plane, but there are delays. Shouldn't be terrible, I have a little time lag allowed for. As we finally land and I dash through the terminal... I see my booked bus leave. Yay! Taxi time, so that's a fun extra charge.

That night on the cruise ship, they already ask "how do you plan to leave (on Thursday?)" The transfer option, which I want, and a booked the flight through the cruise service so I was kinda expecting to give that to me, is only available for flights after mine leaves... So after asking about this at the desk the next morning, I end up with independent leave. I only have a carry on bag, so I should be able to be away by 7am (local time, 9am my time), plenty of time for a taxi. I book with one of the two Sydney cab companies (???) named Silver Cabs.

Tuesday: I find out my departure group. Which is as they call my luggage group, and is at 7.20am. The first transfer group is 7.25. The hell? I could have gone for transfer anyway! After a not great night thinking about this, I talk to the desk. Can't change to a transfer group, and that is indeed the earliest I can get off. As was told to me on a form they had printed out... which means they must have known on Sunday when they asked me if I wanted to leave early!!! I contact the taxi company and change it to 7.30.

Thursday: Finally ready to leave... and time ticks on past 7.20. At 7.45 I get called from Qantas and told that flight is overbooked and I am on Air New Zealand instead, but I am still on the ship. Er, do I know check in closes at 8.20? And the airport is around 30-45 minutes away from the harbour...

7.55am I am finally out and at the taxi stand... and there is no sign of a taxi for me. I grab a Silver Cab taxi (I think it was the other one) and head to the airport... and get there at 8.20am! Fortunately, after dashing to the correct desk, I am able to indeed check in. Barely in time.

Which leaves the security screening. At the scanning station, there are about a dozen queues... the one I am assigned to, I think they bring all the weird trays to from other queues! It takes so long to get through, so much time with bins jumping our ones.

Fortunately, the actual plane is a little late leaving, but get there by the skin of my teeth.

Short version... I should have stayed home.

[END]

No comments: