Friday 11 November 2022

Watching it forever and forever and...

I saw this the other day, but it's a long ass movie and it got out late, so today I post!

One year after the death of T'Challa (yes, that is a major moment in the film), the Queen and Shuri are finally starting to get over it when Namor turns up. He also has unobtanium, so their two countries should team up against the world. Only, he doesn't really sell that well, and so the two nations instead end up in conflict. Oops!

It's unfortunate that during the whole COVID thing (he says, as if it is no longer a thing) a certain actress became rather (in)famous denier... and she is all up in this movie. Which casts a bit of a pall over things, but aside from that...

Ryan Coogler certainly does his world building. Not only with more Wakandan culture, but also Namor's people. I have no idea how well known his particular (for this movie) backstory is, so I'll stay vague, but we do get a lot of it. And yes, the use of the word "mutant", but I don't think it means what you think it means. I could do with it being a little shorter, but there is a great wee cameo I am definitely not cutting (not that I think anyone would).

My biggest complaint: a lot of scenes take part in the dark of the ocean or in dark caves or at night... which makes it really hard to see what is going on! And I'm definitely going to have to wait for subtitles to get all the lines (and jokes) that were said.

Ultimately: wow, what a way to have a big world spanning war between nations... that has absolutely no impact on the world at all!

[END]

No comments: