Tuesday 18 April 2023

Aavvaa-tay-tah

I only saw the first movie once, not in the theater. So far, keeping that streak alive!

In the first third of the movie, we meet JakeSully and family in their forest surroundings. Then in the second third, they head out west to the sea. Then in the last third they get into a watery battle.

So, there was that one bit where the blue kid did something, and then there's the other bit where that blue kid did something, and the blue kid did a thing. Can you guess that I couldn't really tell who was who? Yes, that is correct, and I don't care. In that I couldn't bring myself to be invested in any of this. We didn't need three hours of this, and it felt rather generic, and the main reason I knew what was going on is that I watched other people talk about it so I knew who various characters were.

Is this an impressive use of technology in all its CGI ness? They say the best CGI is when you don't notice it's CGI, but there's no change of that happening here. I was more wondering how well the human actors were given guidance for interacting with all the blueness as I saw some eyelines didn't quite work. But hey, I might just be picking on it because I can.

Lots of people are excited by this. I'll sit back and wait for the next one and just watch from afar.

[END]

No comments: