Friday 14 April 2023

Tetrus

It's that movie based on the video game that everyone is talking about!

This is a documentary in the same style that Argo was, to whit, a dramatisation of events. To whitter, there are some moments that genuflect towards the actual events, and then a whole lot of Hollywood is added on top to make it more exciting. (Especially that ending, which really reminded me of Argo!)

I knew some of the history of Tetris, but can easily believe it's as convoluted as what is presented here. Certainly, I know that Alexey Pajitnov got hosed nearly completely, so that certainly is realistic. I gather the KGB was more subtle about their machinations, in that they were involved, but not quite as overt and antagonistic as what we get here. But I'm guessing the majority of the story is accurate.

Taron Egerton is the main lead, but it doesn't feel like this movie needed him. We are supposed to be here for the people, not the actors. That said, it's nice to see Toby Jones doing things... but I can't say I recognised the others.

Decent movie overall, if somewhat hyperbolic. If you aren't reading history of Tetris books, this gives the ideas.

[END]

No comments: