Saturday 11 November 2023

Teh Mavrels

I waited a day or two so I could see this in IMAX... can't say that I felt I got a special experience from that.

What's the plot of this? From watching the trailers, there is something about Rambeau, Danvers and Khan switching with each other, but the plot apart of that... watching this movie, I had no idea of what to expect, so had no idea about anything that turned up and if it was important or not. I will say the Kree are back, because of course they are, but they are nearly background to the emotional story of Marvels... but that said, I have a big complaint about the story.

It is a mess. It's almost like a different writer wrote each different scene, to the degree that I wouldn't be surprised if the writers changed per line! The tonal whiplash between moments is amazing, and the comedy of Khan is competing against the earnest story of Danvers and Rambeau... even in the same scene! And whenever Khan's family is on screen, expect them to dominate whatever is going on, so much that it's good to know that a comedy Pakastani family can defeat Kree troops.

This also comes through with continuity, in that I'm not sure this movie has any. There were many moments where I was "hey, that doesn't make sense" which is not what you want during the movie. Afterwards, sure, but not during.

I'm not crying "this is the end of the MCU!" or anything, but this could do with a serious re-edit (and I understand it has already gone through reshoots). I was kinda worried when I heard this was delayed that there would have been plenty of time to muck around with it, but I do wonder how bad it was if this is what we ended up with.

[END]

No comments: