Thursday 30 May 2024

At las-t

I wasn't planning on talking about this, but there is some stuff I had to say.

J-Lo is Atlas, an AI analyst who has a troubled past. Her mother created an AI robot that turned on humanity then left for Atlas to grow up. When she's an adult she tracks down the robot to a far off planet which is no trouble to get to, but they are all attacked when there. To survive, she has to pair with a mech suit and together they have to somehow find a way to take the robot down.

In her youth Altas had a tragic love experience, and now much learn to love again to overcome her troubled past... I mean "trust AI". Certainly I obviously can't say this is a reductive story where a woman has to love again, but some how I just did.

No, this is all about AI. She had trouble with AI in her youth, and must learn to trust AI again. Yep, that's definitely an original story and not just an unoriginal idea with a post-it note of "AI" slapped on it.

J-Lo is.. in this movie. I have no idea what she's been doing, but she said yes to this. Simu Liu is here as the evil robot, and he doesn't do anything at all (but cash in the cheque, I guess?). Slacking off from MCU is easy! We do have Sterling K. Brown and Abraham Popoola giving fun performances (in that they at least seemed to be having fun here). Mark Strong is here, not as Sinestro, but I guess he can't be Sinestro in everything?

This movie certainly continues the AI theme by everything being computer generated aside from the actors themselves. I'm sure there are other physical things they were in, but everything else is bland, brown, and generic computer asset.

This is on Netflix, one of their "let's throw money at films and hope to make it back". Best of luck, but I don't think this is going to be one of those hits.

[END]

No comments: