In many ways this is not a subtle movie... although some parts are probably too subtle for me.
Kris is a new director and brought into resurrect the Camp Miasma slasher movie series. For inspiration, she heads out to where it was films and hooks up with the original final girl Billy. But in order to really understand the movie, to become one with what is happening, they need to give themselves over to the Little Death.
Yeah, Little Death. As I said, this isn't subtle. This movie is more than a little about sex, with the penetrating staff delivering lots of splatter. As Billy says "flesh and fluid".
But as it is somewhat meta... I'm not totally vibing with it. "We're meta because we can be" is not necessarily a great reason to be meta. This is about what a slasher movie series is these days, and about recapturing the sense of sex they represented, and the queerness of following the leading girl, even with the male gaze... no doubt many people will unpack this way better than I can.
Hannah Einbinder is fine as Kris, and Gillian Anderson as Billy is... I can't really tell is she wants to be in this movie or not. I assume so because she is in this movie, but she comes across quite distant. There are quite a few cameos of other famous faces, which is cool. And the whole effects are fine, if not quite believable for representing cinema at the time.
For those that are the target audience, this's gonna go down well.
[END]
No comments:
Post a Comment