Wednesday 22 June 2011

Vigil the Huntering

[We're starting a new game of Hunter: The Vigil, and spent the first session character creationing. Since it's useful to fill out one's background, there is this post. (I'm not worried about any of the other players seeing this...)]

I was born Chris Tarrant, in 1954 in an average family in Utah. [Yeah, okay, so I just got that from James Morrison's bio, but I totally see Chris as being played by James.] I grew up middle class, went to high school, but then recruited into the army in my final year.

That's what really defined me. The military gave me skills, taught me about firearms, taught me to survive. I gained experience will all kinds of guns, and even became one of the guys that looked after the weapons. And that ability has stood me in good stead.

While in the military, I picked up the name Slash. Some punk kid in Vietnam got with a knife, right across the face. Left a permanent scar. Can't say people like it, makes it hard to get to know people. Only one person ever made the effort, Meredith. She got passed the scar, got past all my defenses. Damn lovely women.

I ended up in Philadelphia for her, she had a brother there. Not that I speak that much to him any more. Not after...

Together, we brought Phyllis into the world. Lovely, beautiful little girl. The three of us had sixteen wonderful years together, but then... they said it was cancer. All I know is I saw Meredith withering away before my eyes. It was only because of Phylly that I was able to cope...

I nearly didn't. Not when, not long after her 21st, she went missing. They say she ran away, she wouldn't do that. You hear things about this city, there's something in the night. And that something took her. I'm going to find out exactly what that was and drag it kicking and screaming into the light...

One thing about this city. It's a rat-hole now, but you always need protection. So that's why I'm not doing too badly. At least physically. A gun shop is always popular, at least with the customers. And my ex-military buddies. But, the kids in the 'hood say I'm a weirdo, the scar scares them. I'm doing well enough, but that just gives me what I need to find what happened to Phyllis.

But it's hard. All these people around, I see men and women, couples with kids. I had that, but not any more. Now I see them, and they are throwing it in my face. I see them... and I want that. I want that so much, but I can't have it...

One day, when I've gained justice for Phyllis, I'm going to get out of this crap hole. Find a quiet place where I can live out the rest of my days. Maybe... just maybe... even try for a family again...

[END]

No comments: